[Freelists News] February followup: details, at last

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:08:20 -0500

===
- The FreeLists Newsletter -
 You're receiving this email because you are subscribed
 to the FreeLists Newsletter, a newsletter sent out to all
 FreeLists list owners.  It contains important updates about
 changes to FreeLists services.  For subscription information,
 please see the bottom of this email.
===

For those of you who have joined the FreeLists family fairly recently,
please take a moment to read this post:
//www.freelists.org/archives/freelists-news/02-2002/msg00001.html

We originally said that further details would be available by the end of
that month (2/2002), but things didn't quite pan out that way, and rather
than make a "vaporware" news release, we decided to wait until plans were
more finalized.  Here's the quick-n-dirty update, for the impatient:

- FreeLists has much larger costs than during its inception.
- Costs are bad.
- Money is good; it helps cover costs.
- Covering costs is good.
- We're not jerks; there will be no bait-and-switch tactics from FreeLists.
- Our parent company will setup parallel ventures to make money.  Money
helps cover costs.  Covered costs means FreeLists can continue to operate.
- FreeLists will remain free.

That last point is important.  (Read the article linked above.)  Despite
the clarity of that newsletter, I received several emails back in February
asking when FreeLists is going to start charging for its services.  If
there's still any doubt in your mind on the issue, seek professional help;
there's nothing more we can do for you.  FreeLists is, always has been,
and always will be, free.

If you're still awake, here's the real point of this newsletter: We've been
developing a commercial (that is, you have to pay for it) service for
several months now and we believe it's finally ready.  We'd like to give
FreeLists list owners and subscribers first crack at the new service as
thanks for their loyalty and support.  (That means that not only do you
get to be guinea pigs, but you get to be distinguished guinea pigs. :))
We'll only be accepting a limited number of accounts to keep support
overhead to a minimum, so this is basically a first-come, first-serve
opportunity.

Now that you're drooling uncontrollably, what exactly is this mystical
service?  MailandFiles.com: For 5 bucks a month, you get access to 50MB of
email and file storage, a you@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx email address, access to
that email through web mail, POP3, and IMAP, plus access to your files
both through the web mail client and FTP.  (Software like WebDrive(tm) and
Windows 2000+'s "map a network drive" makes it easier on Windows users.)
That's it: premium mail and file storage and access, one flat rate.

So here it is: http://www.mailandfiles.com/  Every account helps -- tell
your subscribers if they're willing to hear it (don't SPAM them though),
tell your mother, and tell your pet alien turtle.  We feel $5/month is
pretty cheap, we've heard that the service should be in fairly high
demand, and hey, we know email, right?

People are always asking us how they can help support us.  We've gotten
offers of hardware, software, hosting, and we even accepted a couple of
paypal donations awhile back.  Just in case you've been wondering too,
this is how you can give a little back and still get something out of it
at the same time.

Questions and comments, as always, are welcome.

Thanks,
  John

- FreeLists Staff

- List webpage: