[foxboro] iFix HMI and PLC vs. FoxView and I/A

  • From: "Liptock, Sheri A" <sliptock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'To:'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:54:30 -0400

Hi List, please can all advise how to present the cost/benefit (or another
valid criteria) for choosing specifically between programming a manufacturing
unit using iFix/PLC vs. FoxView/HMI.    Primarily relating to a chemical
manufacturing unit, such as pumping in feeds, react, pumping out feeds out,
neutralize, and recover solvent , and pump to storage tank(s) and/or package.
Apparently other engineering disciplines and therefore project management say
that FoxView/HMI apparently is always more $$$ for hardware & software -even if
non-redundant mesh/nodebus.   And alas they do not address or compare any ease
or functionality of programming or ease of future troubleshooting.   Use to be
that Invensys supported all of the old / original stuff that that was an
advantage but Invensys appears to have stopped support for many things from
10-15years ago.    Is the only thing that keeps a company continuing to
purchase "DCS" is that if the manufacturing unit has a DCS infrastructure then
they continue DCS?  Or if they have a great purchasing/discount with the DCS
supplier?   But for "new" manufacturing then an iFix/PLC combo is comparable in
function to a DCS?   I realize there are a lot of factors in this decision but
since all of "you" have much broader backgrounds and far outnumber in quantity
our number of engineers onsite, then is it true that iFix/PLC is equally
adequate as Foxview/IA?

 Thank you very much.