Re: [foxboro] printing from ICC (windows)

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:21:43 -0500

My sentiments exactly. It's the same as how Windows users tolerate
rebooting all the time (we've all seen the analogy of PCs to automobiles
basically underscoring how much more crap we put up with from the former).

I don't have 8.6, nor have I read that HH. But for better or worse on the
Windows platform, the I/A core is still largely based on Unix. Which means
of course it's hackable :) It should be straightforward to write a program
in VB or whatever to monitor /usr/tmp for files that look like *print and
send them to the default printer.

As Andreas said, the /etc/printers file is sensitive (from some
aforementioned hacking I have it documented for my personal use
somewhere). One thing I've done lately that made printing more reliable
(on Unix) is limit the printer names to 5 characters; even though it will
appear to work with six, I had occasional prints showing up on the other
side of the wormhole until I made them all 5 characters or less.

Corey

From:
"Easley, Jack" <Jack.Easley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
"foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
10/11/2011 07:59 AM
Re: [foxboro] printing from ICC (windows)
Sent by:
foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Many years of living with "This product enhancement (ie bug) will be fixed
by upgrading to Fox Version 9999.9999" have made many of us submissive, I
mean tolerant.

Boy, did I ever wake up on the cynical side of the bed this morning!

In reality Fox is good at controlling the process and is very complex
software. Just wish sometimes we could get a better response to minor bug
fixes).

Jack Easley
Sr. I&C Technician
Luminant Power, Martin Lake Plant