Re: [foxboro] is PID a parallel or series algorithm?

  • From: "Joseph M. Riccardi" <Joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:58:35 -0400

Folks,

Hopefully this helps; from a ControlSoft Inc. slide presentation ...   =
(I
could not format some of the characters correctly, so it may be a little
difficult to follow; ie., Pe =3D Proportional sub error)

Three Different PID Equations (e =3D error)
- Parallel              Pe + Ie + De
- Series                            P(e + Ie) + De
- Noninteracting (ISA)  P(e + Ie + De)

Parallel format
        G (t) =3D Kp e(t) + Ki I e(t)dt + Kd de(t)/dt
        Gc (s) =3D KP + KI/s + KDs
P is Proportional Gain KP
I is Reset Rate Ki
D is Derivative Gain KD

Series (industrial) format
           G (t)=3DKc ((1+Td/Ti) e(t)+1/Ti I e(t) + Td de(t)/dt
           Gc (s) =3D Kc [1 + 1/Ti s] [(Td s+1)/(a Td s+1)]
a =3D 0      Gc (s) =3D Kc (1+1/Ti s)(1+Td s)
P is Proportional Gain Kc
I is Time Constant Ti
D is Time Constant Td

Non-interacting (ISA) format
            G (t) =3D Kp (e(t) +1/Ti I e(t)dt +Td de(t)/dt)
                Gc (s)=3D Kp (1 + 1/Ti s + 1/Td s)
P is Proportional Gain Kp
I is a Time Constant Ti
D is a Time Constant Td

Parallel comparison to Non-Interacting
        KP Parallel =3D KP Non-Interacting
        KI Parallel  =3D KP NI / Ti NI
        KD Parallel =3D KD NI  * Td NI =20

Sure clears it up for me.  :-))

Joseph M. Riccardi
DCS Services - Industrial Process Control
=20
North-Central Office (OH, PA, MI, IN, WV area)
South-East Office (FL, GA, AL, SC, NC area)

Joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"To give real service you must add something that cannot be bought or
measured with money; and that is sincerity and integrity." - Donald A. =
Adams