Re: [foxboro] hard personal ID solution, instead of password

  • From: "William C Ricker" <wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:00:00 -0500

Good Morning.

We recently implimented just such a system.  Each employee, visitor,
contractor, etc is issued a badge which allows, restricts and records
access to the manufacturing facility.  We added a reader for this
type of badge to each IA workstation, and software to read the badge,
check the ID against a database, and change environments on the
workstation according to the appropriate entry.  Also included is
GUI to manage that database.

This Operator Login software is built "above" the FoxView.  It directs
FoxView to change environments.  We keep five or six classes of environment
with specific privileges and menu/display linkages. Each login ID
(or Badge ID) is assigned to one of these.   Access Control Level settings
and Menu structures are the primary tools for managing access here.

All standard environments ( the '.env' files only) are deleted, and a
'.env' file is created for the operator as he is logged in.  That '.env'
file calls appropriate '.mbr', '.dbr', '.acl', etc files, based on the
class of environment configured for the specific operator.

We used the standard IA password encoding ( program dsmepass ) to code up
passwords and keep them compatible with standard password entry.

The Badge Readers are standard Wiegund types, one connected to the serial
port of each workstation.  Our application expected the operator to be
normally at the workstation.  Once logged in, the operator stayed logged in
until 1/2 hour after shift change.  If no one had logged in in the previous
hour, then the login was cleared (so now no one was logged in at the
workstation).

The badge was not required to log in.  Provisions were made to enter name
and password if the badge was not available.  We used the operator's name as
the
environment name.  This meant that Operator Journal messages reported the
name
of each individual logging in, and that the person's name appeared anywhere
the environment name was displayed.

We talked about having a badge reader which required the presence of the
badge
at all times when the operator was logged in, but never went to that system.

Out system was built around WP70 and FoxView.  There is no reason it could
not
also be done in 50 series systems, and on the legacey Display Manager.

The implimentation (on WP70 stations) was done at the top level in Visual
Basic.
Below this level was UNIX script, NT Command files, and FoxView setup and
script.

Some experimentation was done at the start with biometrics (fingerpring
scanners,
hand geometry sensors) but in general the available technology was not good
enough at the time to put in front of a process plant operator.

Hope this is of some use to you.  We can talk at more length if you'd like.

William C. Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.
Marietta, GA, USA
wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx