Re: [foxboro] formatting USB hard drive, Solaris 8

  • From: "Doucet, Terrence" <tdoucet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:35:35 -0500

Matt,

Backup and Restore are totally different from installation of an Operating
System on a computer. When you install - the installation programs seeks out
your hardware and load software specific to your hardware.

Backup and Restore is copy / paste. No intelligence to seek out your hardware.

You are changing your hard drive.  So copy / paste will not work.

You can try to boot with the new drive as a second drive on your Solaris
computer and use the "format" command to change the parameters on your LaCie
500GB drive to match the parameters of the Foxboro supplied hard drive from
which you made the backup.

By my estimate, this could take a knowledgeable computer person about two days!
It is not easy and will require a lot of rebooting which may not be such a good
thing unless you have a spare Unix computer, so you do not affect your process
control.

Terry Doucet, Eng.