Re: [foxboro] System Management enhancement request

  • From: WMagda@xxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:25:36 -0700

In addition to the previous info by Howard:
There are also Priority Three Events
-Cable Fault (Cable, Transmitter, Receiver or PIO Access Fault)

Priority One and Three Events are reported to configured WPs/PWs/AWs, the
configured historian and high priority message printers.

Priority Two Events are sent to the configured historian and low priority
message printers.

We have UNIX V.6.5.1, so I don't know if this applies to all systems.

Wally Magda

IE&C Spec Sr
Colorado Springs Utilities
McCullough Complex
PO Box 214
660 W. Monument Creek Rd
USAF Academy, CO   80840
719.668.9502 office
wmagda@xxxxxxx

"Cossitt, Howard"
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/28/2006 09:20 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] System Management enhancement request

Andreas,
Please correct me if I misunderstood your requirement.
RE: - have System Management software that supports different access level
(for example view only and administrator)?
This is the difference between a WP configured as "System Monitor WP" and
"System Monitor Notification WP" in your system definition.  The first can
perform actions in SMDH the second is "notification only".

RE: - have a separate LP printer channel for system alarms?
Now we have a printer channel that contains both system messages and
system alarms (they switch on the horn). This mixing is not really
helpful.

This is the difference between a priority 1 and priority 2 printers as
defined in your system definition.
Priority 1 events are what you may consider to be alarms and include:
                 - Network Communication Failures
                 - Station Failures
                 - Peripheral Device Failure
                 - Unexpected fault-tolerant State change
These get sent (amongst other devices) to the "priority 1 printer"

Priority 2 events are what you may consider to be messages and include:
                 - Device is off-line due to request
                 - Equipment is on-line and being monitored
                 - Successful software load
                 - Application messages
These get sent (amongst other devices) to the "priority 2 printer"

Hope this helps.

Howard C. Cossitt
National Training Coordinator, Lifetime Learning Center
Invensys Systems Canada
Phone: +1-514-421-8095
Fax: +1-514-421-8059
Email:  howard.cossitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

- have System Management software that supports different access level
(for example view only and administrator)?

- have a separate LP printer channel for system alarms?
Now we have a printer channel that contains both system messages and
system alarms (they switch on the horn). This mixing is not really
helpful.

Regards,
Andreas Weiss

Innovene Koeln