Re: [foxboro] Starting Script at Windows System Startup

  • From: "William C Ricker" <wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:34:50 -0500

Thanks, and yes, that would work.  However, I was looking for the "preferred"
method.  The software I'm writing is going into a system I don’t control, and
likely will go into other systems down the road. Therefore I should use methods
which will be clear to whoever maintains that system in future, and
particularly should be clear to any Foxboro service guy who may in future
upgrade the system.

For me the downside of using fox_apps.dat is that the service guy may never
look for something non-standard there, and if there is an upgrade, or even a
system definition change, that file may be overwriten.

On the other hand, using the startup folder or a registry edit, or even the
Windows task scheduler all have the disadvantage of running on any startup,
while I want this to run only if IA is running.  Writing a service shares this
problem.  In each case I'd have to include code to see if IA is on, and exit if
it isn't.

William C Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.