Re: [foxboro] Physical layout question

  • From: "Corey R Clingo" <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:59:15 -0600

We too have some "legacy" IE32s for FBMs and CPs, but never really used
them for WPs/AWs in my plant (other plants here have done so, however).

The 51F is a desktop (horizontal) case, not a pizza box like a B or D (the
F is taller) but with a slightly smaller footprint.

We have started using a 31" square by (roughly) 7' tall equipment cabinet
for WPs.  Hoffman, Rittal, et al make them; it's a pretty standard size.
You can get all kinds of accessories for them.  I believe Foxboro offers
something like this for the 200-series FBMs as well, though the ones we've
gotten in another plant we have had to modify to a) have a place for the
fieldbus fiber hubs that they want you to buy, and 2) to put bigger
wireway in it.

I wish Foxboro (and other DCS vendors) would talk to more customers about
basic ergonomic/feasibility issues before they decide to design and build
new hardware.  Experienced I/E folks often spot these problems on first
glance at a new cabinet or field termination assembly.  This is
particularly true when using COTS components which themselves were not
designed to be integrated into an industrial environment.  It can't be too
hard to put together a 3D CAD model or actual mockup of new gear and show
it around.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

brad.s.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
12/08/2004 09:12 AM
Please respond to foxboro

              To:  foxboro
              cc:
         Subject:       [foxboro] Physical layout question

This may seem rather silly, but I'm trying to get an idea of how users
have
their I/A hardware installed ... ie, plastic IE32's, ME24's, free-standing
19" racks & shelves, etc.  We have a very old system (one of the first)
and
much of our equipment is in IE32's.  When we upgraded from AP20 to AW51B,
we put those in there too, but I'm not happy with it ... too crowded.
We're about to upgrade a WP30 to WP51F and my question is ... what type of
case has the 51F?  Will it even fit in a IE32, or is it a mini-tower?  I'd
like to build a case for creating a locked room where I can place all the
higher processors in open racks so the cabling is accessible ... rather
than our IE32's which are generally in unsecure traffic areas.

Thank you.

Brad Wilson
ExxonMobil Chemical Co
Edison Synthetics Plant