Re: [foxboro] OPC Interfaces

  • From: "William C Ricker" <wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:25:04 -0400

Greetings;

If your box is a Solaris, the Matricon option allows connection to either
FoxAPI or
to Object Manager directly.  In this case, you load part of the package on
the
Solaris box, and part on your Windows box.  The client app talks to the OPC
server
which is what you loaded on the windows box.  That OPC Server, in turn talks
to the
Solaris box  I think they quote thruput of around 2000 points per second on
the
FoxAPI version and 5000 PPS on the OM version.

The Windows versions, both from Foxboro and Matrikon, talk to API and I
think they
both run in the 2000 PPS range,

All these support two way communication of real time data. (From your note,
I assume
you have no need for history of event data access.)

We have put in Foxboro and Matrikon servers on Windows and Solaris boxes.  I
see
the Matrikon package generally installs more easily, but there doesn't seem
to be
much difference in operation over the long term.

Both require license codes and if you have no support contract the response
from
either operation to getting license codes should a machine be replaced could
be a
couple of days.

Both are big companies now and their responsiveness to bug fixing and the
like
doesn't differ much (that has good and bad aspects).

So unless you have Solaris; not much differs.  If you do have Solaris, the
Matrikon
server is the only straightforward solution.

William C Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.