Re: [foxboro] Node Bus "Sniffer"

  • From: "Lowell, Tim:" <Tim.C.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 04:34:02 -0700

Corey,

There isn't a package for Ethereal at sunfreeware, but there is at
ftp://ftp.thewrittenword.com <ftp://ftp.thewrittenword.com> , which is
linked to from www.ethereal.com <http://www.ethereal.com> .  You need to
also load 4 other binary packages, ( I already had Perl loaded, so it's
actually 5 if you count Perl) so it's not for the faint of heart, but I did
finally get Ethereal to run on my Solaris 2.5.1 AW51E.  It's kind of like a
graphical version of snoop, with some other nice added features.  I haven't
tried rebooting my AW51E to see what the effect is, but I'm not expecting
any problems.  Everything loads itself in a separate directory in /opt, and
I didn't see any major file system changes during the package adds.

Once you download all the required packages, you need to decompress them,
and un-tar them into /tmp.  Then from /tmp, run "pkgadd -d <package name>".
There are man page packages included with each binary package, so it ends up
being something like 10 pkgadds overall, I think.

Thanks for the link to Ethereal.  We'll be using this a lot.

Tim Lowell
Control Systems Engineer
ConocoPhillips, Trainer Refinery
Phone:  610-364-8362