Re: [foxboro] Legacy historians stop collecting messages

  • From: "Thefs, Stephen" <sthefs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 14:44:57 +1000

Hello Kevin,

Is your Informix database running out of space?  As shown in your email, the
"Number of data bytes" for opraction is 37378530.  This is a large table.

I have a Foxboro document (HH528 dated July 1993) which shows how to add extra
space to the Informix database while it is online.
Note: This document says the tbcheck command reports size in 2KB blocks.
"tbstat" also reports size in 2K blocks.

You can use 'tbstat -d' to check free space in the Informix database.  In the
example below there is 31294*2KB, or about 62 MB free.
   Chunks
   address  chk/dbs offset   size     free     bpages   flags pathname
   100129e8 1   1   150      36765    31294             PO-   /dev/md/rdsk/d3

My guess is that you need about 6.4 MB of free space in your database for the
opraction table to grow as the "Next extent size" = 3204  (3204 * 2KB).

The following is from HH528.  I have used it many times to extend the size of
our Informix databases.  It creates a file called "cooked" (or whatever you
what to call it) to extend the database, as opposed to the first chunk which is
a raw partition.

Example:
Use "tbspaces" to add a 50Mb chunk to the raw Informix partition.
The example will take space from the /opt partition and add it to the raw
partition.
Note: The space should be taken from the /opt partition because this is the
largest partition.

Make sure the /opt partition has enough space before running "tbspaces" to add
a chunk to the raw partition. (Use df command)

   # setenv INFORMIXDIR /opt/informix
   # setenv PATH ${PATH}:/opt/informix/bin
   # cd /opt/informix/bin
   # touch cooked
   # chmod 666 cooked
   # chgrp informix cooked
   # chown informix cooked
   # tbspaces -a rootdbs -p /opt/informix/bin/cooked -o 0 -s 50000
       Notes:
         * -a parameter = add.
         * -p parameter = pathname.
         * -o parameter = offset.
         * -s parameter = size (in Kbytes).
         * Type "tbspaces" for more help.
   # ls -l /opt/informix/bin/cooked
     -rw-rw-rw-   1 informix informix 51200000 May 30 13:17
/opt/informix/bin/cooked

'tbstat -d' will now list two chunks.

You could have a weekly cron job that runs 'tbstat -d' to monitor database free
space.

Regards
Stephen Thefs