Re: [foxboro] Global parameter changes

  • From: brad.s.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:23:00 -0400

Alex,

Thank you, that does help.  I have rarely made any changes EXCEPT through
the ICC ... partly out of fear of mistyping something and having a shutdown
on my hands.  I use getpars ALOT to read selected values.  I know that if I
use ICCDriver (or whatever it's called), that's just like using the ICC.
Will either setpars or omset modify the configuration database?  Or just
the work file?  In other words, if I do a setpars or omset and then go into
the ICC, will I see the change? Or would I need to upload to see it?

Brad Wilson
Process Control Engineer
ExxonMobil Chemical Co
Edison Synthetics Plant
732-321-6115
732-321-6177 fax
Brad.S.Wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

             "Johnson, Alex
             P \(IPS\)"
             <alex.johnson@                                             To
             ips.invensys.c           <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             om>                                                        cc
             Sent by:
             foxboro-bounce                                        Subject
             @freelists.org           Re: [foxboro] Global parameter
                                      changes

             09/12/06 11:03
             AM

             Please respond
             foxboro@freeli
                sts.org

CP data is stored in the following locations:
*         CP's RAM

*         Checkpoint file

*         Workfile

Currently, there are two techniques for changing parameters in a CP:

1)       Changes that are made to the CP RAM and

2)       Changes that are made to the CP RAM, the workfile, and the
checkpoint file as a set

The former approach uses tools like:

*         /opt/fox/bin/tools/omsetimp

*         /opt/fox/bin/tools/setpars

These tools do not automatically update the workfile or trigger a
checkpoint.

The latter approach uses the ICC Driver Task to make changes. It updates
all three locations automatically.

The mechanism used by omsetimp is a one-shot set. It moves one value to
the CP at a time and is slow. It can change any data type so long as the
parameter is "settable" and unsecured.

The mechanism used by setpars is the db_install task in the CP (getpars
uses db_query) and it can handle much more data in a communication
session. Generally, for lots of changes, I would expect setpars to be
faster. Its restrictions are documented in the man file in
/opt/fox/bin/tools.

The ICC Driver Task can change anything.

Does this help?

Invensys Systems, Inc.

10900 Equity Drive

Houston, TX 77041