Re: [foxboro] Foxwacth2?

  • From: "Simpelaar, Marco" <msimpela@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:03:56 -0500

Stan,

The devices that you see in your hosts file are part of the Remote Plus
system. This
is the new and improved version of the Foxwatch product.

A bit of history: For remote support Foxboro used to supply a modem
connected to a COMM10.
Via this way Foxboro could get a terminal window when dialing in from the
Foxwatch center in Foxmass.
The biggest disadvantage was that no TCP/IP traffic was possible, so no
remote X-window, telnet or FTP
was possible.

These days a router is supplied so that TCP/IP traffic is possible from and
to the Foxwatch center. This means
that we (Foxboro) can use normal telnet/ftp/x-window to do troubleshooting.

Why is a router needed? Well: every I/A system uses the 151.128.x.x address
range and only expects IP addresses
in this range. So the router does the necessary network address translation
(NAT) and filtering to keep the good
packets in and the rest out. This enables Foxboro to do remote
troubleshooting from the Foxmass (or Baarn or
Singapore) office.
The 151.128.8.123 IP address is the Remote Plus router. The other 3 IP
addresses are used only when
Foxboro is logged into the site.

Security:
When connecting a DCS to the rest of the world it is important to understand
the implications of this.
Foxboro has a well documented security protocol on how to deal with remote
support. This includes:
* physical security
  Foxwatch room in Foxmass is behind locked doors, just unplug the phone
line of your router when not
  in use, All 3 TAC centers (Foxmass,Baarn,Singapore) have identical setups
with identical databases,
  basically a redundant setup.
* social security
  Only certified Foxboro engineers are allowed to dialin to customers, all
actions are logged on file
  and/or video, Foxboro engineer can have voice contact with customer to
update the customer on what he/she
  is doing.
* technical security
  Standard of the shelf communications equipment is used, all specs are
available. That's much better than
  trying security through obscurity.
  Dialback is recommended. There is filtering in both the onsite router and
the Foxboro router to
  keep bad packets out and the good packets in.

At the customer site there should be a policy on how to handle connections
from the outside world to the DCS.
And with the outisde world I mean everything that is not DCS related: the IT
network that is connected to the
2nd ethernet port of an AW. Any phone connections into the DCS, including
Remote Plus. Remote engineering stations
via X-window sessions etc...

Contact a CSC center (www.foxboro.com - Technical Support link) if you have
any detailed questions
about Remote Plus and its implementation onsite.

Marco Simpelaar - EMEATAC
Europe, Middle East & Africa Technical Assistance Centre
Invensys Systems Nederland N.V.
E-Mail    ips_emeatac@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet  www.ips.csc.invensys.com
Tel      +31-35-5484125