Re: [foxboro] FRSExec

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:29:19 -0500

I agree, though I've been using those "kludge" solutions for years on
Solaris and they work pretty well :)

But I have mixed feelings about this on other fronts. On the one hand,
it's good that Invensys is paying more attention to security. On the
other, there's an implication that they want you to believe that they have
become experts in security-related programming over the last year or two,
that it will work the first time, and that they had good reason to
partially reinvent the wheel here. Since the code is not open, and the
system will likely break if you disable this service, you are forced to
approach system security externally, because otherwise the only way you
find out if their approach wasn't in fact secure is when the first 0-day
hits (or you do some reverse engineering or fuzz testing yourself).

Invensys is not alone here, to be sure. There are probably many automation
vendors use proprietary, network-listening services. But that situation
doesn't do anything for my comfort level.

Corey Clingo

From:   "William C Ricker" <wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   06/14/2012 10:53 AM
Subject:        Re: [foxboro] FRSExec
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

That must mean "no".

That's disappointing, because as this sort of functionality didn't make
the jump from UNIX to Windows, there are a lot of kludges out there to
make it happen.  A standard product be so much better.

William C Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.