Re: [foxboro] FBM224 and ProSoft modules

  • From: "Corey R Clingo" <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:23:30 -0600

I'll give a quick synopsis of FBM224 Modbus setup, having gone through it
recently:

1. Use Modbus Port Configurator to turn on ports, set baud rate, parity,
etc.  This generates the .MMA file (which I thought would be ASCII, but is
not).

2. Use Modbus Device Configurator to configure scanning of the slave(s).
You define "transaction specifications" (which I assume map to Modbus
polling commands) to grab groups of bits (up to 2000) and registers (up to
125) and the frequency with which to grab them.  You can have more than
one transaction specification active on a port.  Write down the
information, or keep the Device Configurator open, 'cause you will need to
know the information in there to build your points later (there's no way
to print it that I could tell -- hint, hint, Foxboro :-).  This generates
the .MSL file (also not ASCII).

You can also turn on the "heartbeat", which the docs recommend, but what
this does for you I don't know.  It does not appear to speed up either
detection of comm failure or recovery from same.  It *does* seem to slow
down the link at the instants when the heartbeat is asked for/read, based
on my observation of the lights on the front of the FBM224.  I kept it off
and used watchdogs in the end devices instead.

3. Use System Management to download these files to the FBM224.

4.  Build DCI blocks (RIN/ROUT/BIN/BOUT/IIN/IOUT/PAKIN/PAKOUT) to actually
image the data into the CP.  In the configuration of these, you have to
put the transaction specification number (I told you you would need that
info) of the transaction that will be polling the bit/register you want to
bring into that block (along with the register/coil address and some
formatting and byte-swapping information, but this is all documented in
the "FBM224 User's Guide").  Then build some "real" blocks (AIN, CIN, etc.
-- the "classic" I/A blocks) if you want to do anything useful with the
data.  DCI blocks have *very* limited functionality.  (Which fascinates
me, as DCI blocks are used with almost all of Foxboro's current
intelligent device interfaces -- HART, Modbus, Foundation fieldbus,
Profibus,...  However, I'm told that Foxboro is working to address this
issue.)

It ain't the easiest process, but it's no harder than with any other
control system I've worked with.  And so far, it's working well.  Scanning
160+ coils and 140+ floats from a PLC at 500ms, and it's been rock-solid.
I couldn't have done this with 2 Integrators :-)

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

"Joshua E. Nix" <jenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/20/2005 03:43 PM
Please respond to foxboro

              To:  foxboro
              cc:
         Subject:       Re: [foxboro] FBM224 and ProSoft modules

We are currently using the 224 to talk to PLC5, I hope to get funding in
April to remove those AB Stations and add two more.

RE#   I'm assuming that I will have access to all the CP60's block set for
#     processing data to/from the PLC in this method, is this correct? As
opposed
#     to the somewhat limited block set that the integrator 30 supports.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it (according
Foxboro 's FBM 224 user guide "B0400FK Rev B" Section 5), you must use DCI
blocks. (RIN, ROUT, PAKIN, PAKOUT, BIN, BOUT etc..)
The CP talks with the FBM via the DCI blocks.  Once you have been threw
the
ECB and DCI blocks then you can use all blocks available on CP 60.  So you
end up with a lot more blocks.

RE#   Also does the ECB set up port assignments baud parity etc?

Port assignments are used in one ECB, but you will have to build a *.MSL
file with Modbus Port cfg. and then add the file to the ECB FILE_ID.
Second ECB FILE_ID will use a *.MMA file built with Modbus Device cfg.
that
will define the addresses and speed of transitions.  That clarifies how
the
FBM talk with the device.    The DCI block will have final say in the
PNT_NO about which transaction, address, and data type.
Is that correct???

Josh Nix