Re: [foxboro] Changing Fox password on AW70

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P (IPS)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:19:02 -0500

Here is an extract of a conversation with the CSC:

1) Do we support the changing of the password on the user 'Fox' =
account?=20

We don't support changing the password on the Fox account. You are =
correct
in saying that I/A will not work properly if the password is changed.

2) If not, how do we address the security issue and customer =
requirements
that all passwords be changed every few days?

Basically the philosophy has been to password protect environments =
assuming
Operators and Engineers that are allowed to use the computor are okay. =
If
the stations are connected to a second or third network we recommend =
that
those networks have routers and firewalls isolating these networks from
access.

At a technical level, there are several critical services that must run =
as
the user Fox and, therefore, must use the associated password. If the
password for Fox is changed, the password used by each of these =
services on
each Windows AW/WP must also be changed.

Basically, the odds of changing all of these for a system of reasonable =
size
are low.

There are a variety of technical approaches that we have examined to =
address
the issue, but no changes to the system have been made to date.

For those that are curious, options include:

1) Running the services as Local Machine, but this allows any program =
access the OM's Shared Memory and that is a concern.
2) Running the I/A Series as part of a domain and using the standard MS
Active Directory to handle the password, but it appears that this will =
not
change the password used by the services.
3) Writing a utility to change the password for the services, but this
requires running the utility on every machine.

With regard to item 3), it turns out that MS have such a script. Please =
see:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scr=
iptg
uide/en-us/sas_ser_jpez.mspx

This page includes the code required to write a program to change all =
of the
Service login passwords on a given station.

I am NOT recommending that anyone use this script. The company policy =
is
clear, but I did want everyone to understand the source of the issue.

Regards,
=20
Alex Johnson
Invensys Systems, Inc.