Re: [foxboro] AW: Internet Browser on Solaris 8.0

  • From: Kevin FitzGerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:43:34 +1200

Klaus,

No, there is no standard installation system for Solaris like there is
for windows.  On my Solaris 8 workstation at home I've been using the
blastwave.org packages with apt-get because it does a pretty good job of
installation and resolving dependencies.  SunFreeware packages use
pkgadd, but you'll have to carefully make sure that you install all
required other packages, and ensure that they are properly pathed.

While I haven't tried it recently, my memory of the Solaris Opera
package a few years ago is that it installed much more easily than the
others.

A static compile should be simpler to install (but bigger) than a shared
one.

grüße,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Carter Holt Harvey, Ltd.