[foxboro] XP SP3 and IE7

  • From: "Hicks, Gaylon F" <gfhicks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:30:34 -0400

List Gurus,

Has anybody installed IE7 as part of the XP SP3 upgrade on your
workstations?  If so, how's that working out for you?  Any feedback
would be appreciated.

Sidebar mini-rant - this question comes out of trying to get an XP SP3
patch kit ready to go for a workstation build.  I have used the latest
list from the TAC website, and frankly it leaves a lot to be desired.
The links to several IE patches force you to pick between the IE6 and
IE7 versions, which I can handle (I think) relatively easily, but
KB955218 makes you pick between XML core services version 4.0, 5.0, and
6.0.  Okay, this one has me stumped for now.

I know that Invensys can't redistribute patches anymore due to Evil
Empire issues, but a couple of nice batch files that would ftp the
appropriate patches to a directory on a Wide Area machine, then another
to do the actual install on the workstations would be really, really,
nice, and should not offend Darth Bill from a commercial standpoint.

I'm really going to miss my all my PW-OEs when they're gone.

Thanks,
Gaylon Hicks
TVA - Browns Ferry