[foxboro] FBM224 and port-powered modems

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:17:44 -0500

Anyone ever used one of those "port-powered" modems, the ones that get
their power from the RS-232 control signals, with an FBM224?  We are
hooking something up as a test, and have some of these on hand (Black Box
ME-605A fiber optic).  I set the DIP switches on the TA for the "typical
modem" configuration in the FBM224 manual, but I'm not getting anywhere
near the light power output from the modem that I should be.  I tried
opening up the switches that return signals to the FBM (CTS, DCD) but it
only improved slightly.

I hooked it up to a PC serial port and the emitted light power is normal,
so either I don't have some of those DIP switches set right, or the FBM224
does not put out enough power on its pins to light up one of these modems.
 I just wanted to know if anyone ever got one of these to work, and how,
before I spring for one with its own power supply.

Thanks,

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation