[foxboro] Dell DRAC's ?

  • From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Foxboro List <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:58:02 -0400

We recently bought our first Dell machine for some non Foxboro
infrastructure needs. We bought an R805, which if i understand things
correctly is similar to what Foxboro is providing. Ours is AMD, and they are
providing Intel machines, but I think other than that the machines are very
similar.

This machine cam with what Dell calls a DRAC (Dell Remote Access Control),
which we know as Sun's Light's Out Manager. This provides access to the
machine at the hardware level without being at the mercy of the operating
system, and is really nice.

Now, here is the question. Does anyone know if this card could be added to
the Foxboro suppled machines? If so, I wonder what the Foxboro position on
this would be? t certainly looks like it would be extremely nice to have for
the Foxboro machines, and I can't for the life if me, see how it would
cause them any problems. I sort of wider why they are not trying to sell
this functionality.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?