[foxboro] Allied Telesys Fiber NIC's, miniport, and REDL

  • From: Tom VandeWater <tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:29:58 -1000

List,

      I have heard varying reports of being able to leave the existing
Allied Telesys fiber NIC's in place.  I am uncertain if the miniport
used for REDL, (Redundant Ethernet Data Link), communication on the
MESH binds to the specific MAC addresses of the fiber NIC's or just
slots where the cards are installed in the machine.  If it doesn't use
the MAC's then it may be possible to backup one like box and restore
to another like box and then reboot the new machine onto the MESH.
      I would like to hear from anyone that has specific experience
with this.  Russ, you probably know the answer to this.  Has anyone
backed up from one box and restored to another box that has identical
model and hardware configuration and left the fiber NIC's in place
without swapping them from the old box to the new box?
      I have an identical spare box right now and I will try it unless
somebody tells me they have done it already and it won't work.  We
want to know if this is possible because it would make an image backup
on one box and image restore on another box possible if you keep
exactly identical hardware installed.

Cheers,
Tom VandeWater
Control Conversions, Inc.