[foxboro] 200 Series Power Supplies

  • From: "Hicks, Gaylon F" <gfhicks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:11:44 -0400

Oh Great and Powerful List,

Here at Beautiful Browns Ferry we are looking at upgrading our existing
v4.3 CP30A/100 series systems to the latest and greatest hardware in the
near future.  One of the issues we are kicking around is power supply
reliability (and monitoring), specifically, something better than just
the two standard I/A power supplies per cabinet with an alarm contact.

The failure that we are concerned with is where one power supply is
degraded, but isn't carrying any load, so all indications and output
voltage are okay.  Then you fail the load-carrying "good" power supply
or feeder, and the degraded one fails shortly thereafter because it
can't carry full load.  Most folks on here probably know this already,
but this is exactly what happened at a plant that caused the redesign of
the I/A power supplies a couple of years ago.

The configuration we are looking at would replace each I/A power supply
with two 100% capacity Phoenix Contact passive cooled QUINT-2 power
supplies and a diode module, add current monitoring to each power supply
DC output line (for load balancing and monitoring), and voltage
monitoring on each DC output via an FBM201c with a voltage divider.  We
can't use the standard I/A power supplies since they have no voltage
adjust and can't be balanced.  Our reasoning is that with full current
and voltage monitoring on each power supply, this is about all we can
possibly do to ensure that all power supplies are not degraded, short of
doing a full load test (which we will probably do during outages).

My questions to the list are as follows:

1)  Has anyone else used non-I/A 24V power supplies for a new 200 series
system?

2)  Are there any know concerns or problems with using non-Foxboro power
supplies, i.e., a need for abnormally tight regulation or low ripple.

3)  Anything else you would like to add on I/A power supplies in
general?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Gaylon Hicks
Tennessee Valley Authority, Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant
Mail Stop SAB-1B
PO Box 2000
Decatur, AL 35609
Phone:(256) 614-8386 Fax:(256) 729-2047
email gfhicks@xxxxxxx
FedEx Address: Shaw Road & Nuclear Plant Road, Athens, AL 35611

NOTICE: This electronic message transmission contains information which
may be TVA SENSITIVE, TVA RESTRICTED or TVA CONFIDENTIAL. Any misuse or
unauthorized disclosure can result in both civil and criminal penalties.
If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of the content of this information is
notify me immediately by email and delete the original message.