[forthepoor] Re: MAY 14TH THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 20:48:19 -0400

Greetings sis Reis, et al;

   Mr. Hawker is blessed to set forth the truth which is found in this passage.   Most religious men gasp at such a thought yet those who are taught the glories of the LORD's predestination of all things must simply bow down and worship at the throne of HIM who doeth all things well.   Even the plowing of the wicked is ordained by the hand of a HOLY GOD to ultimately work for the benefit of those who are the called according to HIS purpose.   HIS way is indeed past finding out.   We find this truth most clearly manifested in Peter's declaration on the day of Pentecost. /"Him, being delivered by the//_determinate counsel and foreknowledge of Go_//d, ye have taken, and by //_wicked hands_//have crucified and slain." (Acts 2:23/)  Did not the LORD turn the hearts of men to hate HIS SON, and was this hatred not turned to the benefit of the LORD's people and the fullfilling of HIS purpose.  "/For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them." (Mat 13:1/5) It is as much in the LORD's purpose to harden men in their sin as it is for HIM to awaken dead sinners and give them faith.

Blessings, mike

On 5/13/2022 3:09 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"He turned their heart to hate his people." Psalm 105:25*

*Oh! precious scripture! what a blessed discovery is here made! Never should I have known, never thought that the hand of my God was in a dispensation like this. Henceforth, my soul, remember, when at any time the world is oppressing thee, and opposing thee, yea, when even "thy mother's children are angry with thee;" look deeper than the surface, and behold both the Lord's wisdom, and the Lord's appointment in the exercise. *

*And dost thou ask wherefore the Lord should dispose the heart of the believer's foes to hate his people? the answer is at hand: it is to keep his people from "mingling with the heathen, and learning their works." Nature cleaves to nature; and the dispositions of flesh and blood are in all the same. If God, therefore, turn the hearts of those we are too fond of, to treat us with unkindness, and reward our love with hatred, this process will do more to separate the precious from the vile, than all the Lord's precepts; yea, even more than a sense of our own danger. *

*How much disposed art thou, my soul, to seek the favour of the world! how frequently dost thou study to conciliate the affections of those who differ from thee in the great truths of God. Jesus, who knows this, beholds it, and will not suffer it to be. He graciously causeth some secret sorrow to spring out of this root. The heart we wish to be particularly friendly, is led to manifest provoked unkindness; and where we are looking for most pleasure, there we find most pain. And in all this, Jesus's love and wisdom are at the foundation. *

*No dispensation would answer the purpose to correct our wayward choice but this; and it is blessed to see how the Lord accomplisheth the secret purposes of his will, by means so opposite to our calculation. Mark down this sweet scripture for the special purpose of improvement, under exercises like these. And when at any time the false reproaches of one, or the unprovoked anger of another, in the carnal world, make thee sad, recognize the hand of Jesus in the dispensation, and read this blessed passage in proof; "He turned their heart to hate his people."*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827) ***