[forthepoor] Re: APRIL 22ND THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 19:06:55 -0400

On 4/21/2022 2:47 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each walking in his uprightness " Isaiah 57:2*

*Here, my soul, is a sweet portion for thee to lie down with, this night, and every night until the night of death arrives, and thou droppest asleep in the arms of Jesus, to wake no more, till the everlasting morn arise that shall have no night. This is the privilege of the faithful, who enter into the peace of Jesus, and these are the beds they repose in, yea, each of them, for it is the personal enjoyment of each, and of all, to make Jesus their rest. "This is the rest (saith the Holy Ghost, by this same prophet, chapter 28:12.) wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest, and this is the refreshing."*

*And dost thou know it, my soul, that Jesus is all this for thee to rest upon, for peace here, and glory to all eternity? Behold him in his person; behold him in the fulness of his grace, his righteousness, his blood, and the unceasing efficacy of his atonement and salvation! Surely thou hast both known him, and rested upon him, under all these endearing views, and therefore cannot now need to inquire, what is the rest of the weary, and the sure dwellingplace of the believer? *

*Look at each sweet character and office of Jesus, and mark how suited they all are for his people, when buffetted by Satan, or fatigued in the world, or tired with the many burdens and interruptions to their peace, which arise from bodily infirmities; look at each, and see what a bosom Jesus opens to receive, and lull to sleep in his arms, every lamb of his fold. If the tempter should hiss from the "lion's den, and from the mountain of the leopards, how quieting is that voice which speaketh pardon and peace in the blood of the cross! And what strength does faith afford in Jesus's righteousness," to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked!" *

*If the world frown, if family cares and sorrows arise, or if any of those various afflictions which necessarily arise out of a fallen state, abound to make this state wearisome, still the promise holds good: "he shall enter into peace; they shall rest in their beds:" Jesus will here again lull them to sleep with his sweet refreshments. "In the world ye shall have tribulation, but in me ye shall have peace. "And if, my soul, thine own manifold frailties, which daily and hourly harass thee, from that body of sin and death thou carriest about with thee; if these induce sorrow, as well they may, Oh! how blessed is it to look up to Jesus under all, and view that blood which speaketh for thee, more than all thy errors plead against thee! Here, thou dearest Lord, wilt thou cause me to find constant support and consolation in thee; and, amidst all, I shall hear thy lovely voice saying," Come unto me, all ye that are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest." *

*Lie down then, my soul, this night, and every night, until thou takest thy last night in the quiet bosom of the grave, upon the covenant promises of thy God, in the sure and safe resting-place of thy Jesus, and his finished salvation. And as the waters of the flood allowed no resting-place for the dove, neither could she find place for the sole of her foot, until she returned to Noah in the ark, so neither will the tribulated waters of sin, and sorrow, and temptation, suffer thee to enjoy rest in any thing short of Jesus, which the ark of Noah signified. "Return then to thy rest, O my soul, return to thy Jesus, thy Noah, thine ark, for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee?"*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827) ***