[forthepoor] Re: APRIL 20TH THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Soraya Reis <sbreis44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:36:31 -0400

Greetings sis Reis, et al;

   We are blessed to ponder the resurrection of CHRIST which makes our own not simply possible but_certain _since HE is the FIRST FRUITS of them that sleep.  Mr. Hawker sets forth the common view that the soul and body are parted at death with the soul going in one direction and the body in another. Try as I might I cannot honestly say that I can discover this teaching in the scriptures.  THis is not to say that there are not verses which can be used to support that view, but in most cases this view arises out of the notion that the soul of man is immortal, which in my opinion cannot be supported from the scriptures alone.  It is unfortunate that some feel the need to label any who do not believe this view to be correct, as deceivers and heretics.   It is patently true that none of us can really speak on these matters with any great degree of certainty regardless of protestations to the contrary.  I will be the first to admit that I have little grasp of such matters, but do desire to speak where the scriptures speak and be silent where they do not.  Of this I am certain, "t/he LORD knows them that are HIS/" and HE shall return from Heaven with a shout to gather those whom HE has purchased with HIS own blood. They shall live forever because they are united to HIM who is our LIFE.  THe day of the Resurrection will attest to that fact.

Blessings, mike

On 4/19/2022 4:05 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall, not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep. O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me in secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time and remember me! " Job 14:12-13*

*My soul! thou hast been viewing and reviewing some of the blessed things, connected with the glorious doctrine of thy Redeemer's resurrection, for several nights and mornings past; but there is one more point of view in which that heavenly truth demands attention, and which thou hast not even glanced at. Sit down, and ponder over the joy, the gratulations, the unspeakable rapture which will result from the meeting of thyself! I mean thou and thy body meeting together after the long separation made by the grave, and all the humbling circumstances of this flesh of thine having seen corruption. Figure to thyself what an interview that will be of soul and body! *

*In this life, my soul may truly say to the body, Oh! how exceedingly burdened am I, day by day, from an union too dear to be parted from but with pain; and yet too opposed, in all my pursuits and desires, to what I am longing after in spiritual attainments, to wish always to continue! I know, that whilst I am now at home in the body, I am absent from the Lord; and still so much am I allied to thee, so dear art thou, that when the prospect of separation appears, though I know it is but for a season, nature shrinks back, and recoils with terror!—There must be the clammy sweat of death, and, whatever it be, or in whatever it consist, there must be a separation of soul and body. *

*Therefore, like the apostle," though in this tabernacle I groan, being burthened," yet it is "not to be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life. "Pause, my soul, and receive comfort from the divine portion of the evening. Job comforted himself with it, and why should not you? Though death separate soul and body, yet it is only to devour that corrupt part of the body which is now so afflictive to the soul. The Lord will "appoint a set time and remember." "He will call, and thou shalt answer him. He will have a desire to the work of his hands." ***

*Moreover, thy body, corrupt as it now is, and virtually all sin, yet hath Jesus as much made it his purchase as the soul. And when the set time arrives, by virtue of his resurrection, thy body shall arise, and thou shalt be among the first, when Jesus gives the word, to descend, and meet thyself in the body, then no longer disposed to interrupt thy purer joys, but as much alive as thou art to the everlasting service, love, and praise of God and the Lamb. Hail, thou glorious Restorer of all things! In thy light shall I see light: and "when thou, who art my life, shall appear, then shall I appear with thee in glory." Amen.*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827) ***

**