[forthepoor] Re: APRIL 17TH THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:23:28 -0400

Greetings sis Reis, et al;

   These are blessed words indeed from the pen of mr. Hawker.  It is in the midst of their/"fear"/ that the LORD ministered peace to them by HIS presence among them, just as HE did in the vessel tossed by the winds and the waves.  HE promised to give HIS disciples peace and HE does so in private ("/the doors were shut/") as HE said HE would give them PEACE that the world knew not of.  THe blessings of CHRIST are reserved for those whom HE is pleased to visit.  We cannot imagine the joy and comfort that this visit brought to these disciples as their whole existence was upended by HIS crucifixion, yet now by the power of HIS resurrection which they now witnessed with their own eyes they are encouraged and strengthened.  Oh that HE might be pleased to stand in our midst as HE did theirs.

Blessings, mike

On 4/16/2022 5:41 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"The same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you." John 20:19 *

*There is a peculiar blessedness in this first visit of the Lord Jesus to the whole college of disciples (at least as many as were present of them) after he arose from the dead: and the manner of relating it is peculiarly striking also. It was the same day at evening; and it was the first day also; as if the Lord Jesus would again and again honour the day, as well in the evening as the morning of his resurrection, and make that day for ever memorable to his church, and among his people. *

*My soul! thou hast celebrated thy Lord's triumphs over death, in the morning, both at home and abroad, in his church, at his ordinances, at his table, and among his disciples; but learn hence also, that at evening time Jesus will make it light by the sweet renewed visits of his grace; and when the doors are shut, and in thy retirement the world is shut out, and thou art communing within, Jesus will come and say, "Peace be unto thee." *

*And doth Jesus do this? Hast thou this precious legacy of peace, which he left to his people, administered to thee by his own blessed hand? Is he thy peace, and hath he made thy peace through the blood of his cross? Having purchased it by his death, doth he confirm it to thee by his resurrection. and in the earnest of his Spirit, seal it on thy soul to the day of eternal redemption? Oh! then look up to him, my soul, again this evening, as thy peace, thy surety, thy sponsor; and say with the prophet, "This man shall be our peace, when the Assyrian shall come into our land;" Micah 5:5. *

*Yes, thou dear Redeemer! thou art indeed the peace, the very means and end of all joy and peace in believing, and wilt be the everlasting security of thy people in peace with God through all eternity! Methinks I hear thee say, in the nightly visits of thy love and grace, as to the disciples of old: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you: let not your heart be troubled; neither let it be afraid!" *

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827) ***