[fofgp] Re: Follow up to HCC concern, 2-12-14 meeting.

  • From: Nancy Stoddard <tennisvt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fofgp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fofgp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 17:24:26 -0500

That is wonderful!  I will add her to the listsrv.

Nancy

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 13, 2014, at 11:18 AM, Eliot <e_lothrop@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Folks. I spoke with Ann Cousins ann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and she is interested
in helping us with fundraising and general ideas about the project. She
would be a valuable asset as she is not only a Richmond resident, she also
deals with helping projects like this move forward on a day to day basis.
 Nancy, if you could get her on the list serv we can try to get her to our
next meeting.

Thanks
Eliot

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 13, 2014, at 10:55 AM, "Megs Keir" <mkeir@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The natural resources at the southern end of Gillett Pond are certainly
worthy of our Conservation Commission's concern.  To put it in
perspective....The
Robbins Mt WMA does not own the dam, but has reason to weigh in on this
situation.  Wildlife habitat is often the concern
of multiple landowners, and that is the case here.
         Whether Huntington owns or controls the dam itself is not the
issue: the issue is the conservation of a highly valuable natural habitat
that includes a list of resources that should be conserved.
The CC could consider itemizing these habitats/resources:

1. pond habitat for otter, fish, etc...

2. "edge" habitat... (forest/edge/pond)

3. wetland... alder swamp... turtles, salamanders, etc
4. Clean Rivers stewardship: settling area for run-off , slowing down
mountain run-off as rain and spring melt-water flow toward Huntington River.

5. wildlife corridor... (deer, coyotes, fox, bobcat, etc)

6.  etc...

At the very least, I think it would be appropriate for our HCC to compose a
statement regarding the conservation concerns the we in Huntington have for
the Gillett Pond wildlife area.
Megs

On Feb 13, 2014, at 10:18 AM, Eliot <e_lothrop@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As a taxpayer of huntington and therefore a contributor to the HCC funds I
agree with Nancy that there should be a closer look at the HCCs ability to
contribute to the project.  We are talking about both a historical and
natural resource that is perhaps one of the most valuable town assets in
that regard.  While the root (dam) is not within or borders the are
effected certainly is. There must be some way to bring this to the HCC
board and look at extenuating circumstances. Duncan, I am confident you'll
explore all options here

Eliot

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 13, 2014, at 9:55 AM, "Nancy Stoddard" <tennisvt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cindy,

I'm going to play "devil's advocate".  I would guess that the natural
resources (amounts of biodiversity and geodiversity existent in various
ecosystems)  that live on the borders of the pond (in Huntington) would be
greatly impacted by the loss of a larger water source.  Though the dam is
in Richmond, its removal would greatly impact Huntington's natural
resources.  I am saddened that the HCC is not willing to look at this
bigger picture.

Nancy