[FMO] Re: MARS / WD 5 Impact Event

  • From: "bert stanley" <tavianne@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: fmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:09:40 -0500 (EST)

QUOTE:
Speaking of Tunguska and asteroid impacts, this just came over the wire:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gh4pCIVMODpYJ8IeyIaDkqK6hWIQD8TLIBD80
A Martian Apophis.Tony

I saw this story all over the wires last night, but I can find absolutely
nothing where you'd most expect to see it. NASA, JPL, space.com,
newscientist.com, sciencedaily.com, redorbit.com

I checked the tables for Mars and WD5 on the night in question, and there
definitely appears to be some legitimacy to the story. From our pov, WD5
will appear to scrape right against Mars, IF we could see it. It will be
at 26th magnitude. Its all we can do to see Mars' 12th magnitude moons
orbiting further out from the planet's glare - how can we possibly ever
see a 26th magnitude object right up against the planet?

If an impact were to actually occur, what could we expect to see from
here? Do you think that we'd see any sort of ejecta? Why do you think
that this story is not yet on any of the astronomy or space agancy sites?

This is an exciting idea, to witness an asteroid impacting a planet, but
I would like to have more information before I get too excited.

Tavi