[FMO] Lunar impact research reply

  • From: "David Johnson" <drknite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:48:35 -0600

Hello List,

Dr. Suggs has replied to my inquiry about using us to assist with searching
for lunar impacts.  He stated he likes the idea of using a group such as
ourselves for this task, but the main problem is the amount of bandwidth
needed due to the size of the video files.  He estimates that one night's
imaging would produce roughly 13Gbytes per HOUR (30 frames per second of
video at 720x480 pixels per frame), with anywhere from 2 to 6 hours of
imaging per night, depending on the phase of the moon.  The impact flashes
would occur in 1 to 5 frames of video, so all frames would need to be
examined in some manner.

As compression would serve to hide the fainter flashes on the frames, this
wouldn't be an option.  He said he's open to suggestions for overcoming this
problem.  Would anyone here have any ideas on how to get around such a large
amount of data, perhaps some kind of schema that would allow us to
efficiently view the images?  From his comments, I believe he's concerned
with the bandwidth that would be needed on his internal network.

At any rate, he's found the idea intriguing, and if it can be made to work,
I think we'd have another project to get involved with.  At this point, it
would be up to us to get it rolling.

Whatcha all think?

DJ.