Requesting Ideas for a Materials Simulation Challenge

  • From: "Daniel W. Siderius" <daniel.siderius@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fluidproperties@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:33:32 -0500

Dear All,

As discussed in a number of venues (including the 2013 NIST Workshop on Atomistic Simulations for Industrial Needs, the Industrial Fluid Properties Simulation Challenge (IFPSC) session at the 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting, and in a number of IFPSC teleconferences), the steering committee of the IFPSC is leaning toward a "materials" focus for the 9th IFPSC. This challenge would be run during calendar year 2015 if we can stay on schedule. The 7th IFPSC Challenge examined gas adsorption in a zeolite and the upcoming 8th Challenge will examine gas adsorption in an activated carbon material, so this focus is not far from some of the recent challenges. (More information about past simulation challenges is available at http://www.fluidproperties.org) We have been purposely vague on what we mean by "materials," and the exact set of calculations is open for discussion. Examples could include phase equilibria, fluid/substrate interactions, structural properties of relevant adsorption materials, etc.

A key step toward organizing a materials-focused simulation challenge for 2015 is to identify a material and set of properties to be simulated by the entrants and ensure that those properties can be, and will be, measured by an industrial partner. So, the main point of this email is to both seed and solicit ideas for a Materials Simulation Challenge to be run in 2015. Some initial ideas that we have considered for the 9th Challenge include computation of some mechanical property or properties of a material, simulation of some property of a polymeric material, or evaluation of the transferability of a material model by providing a certain set of properties for a well-characterized material (perhaps a reference material) and then asking the entrants to compute the same or another set of properties at different conditions. One class of materials that has come up repeatedly in our conversations is that of metal-organic frameworks, a type of porous coordination polymers that are a topic of great inquiry at present for many applications.

Finally, as scientists and engineers interested in molecular simulations, can you suggest any topics of interest for a Materials Simulation Challenge in 2015? If so, are experimental measurements of the properties and materials of interest feasible and is there an industrial partner that could provide those measurements? We thank you for considering this question and providing suggestions that may direct us toward a topic for the 9th Simulation Challenge.

Please address any ideas for a Materials Simulation Challenge to both Dan Siderius (daniel.siderius@xxxxxxxx) and Chandler Becker (chandler.becker@xxxxxxxx).

Best Regards,
Dan Siderius (NIST)
The IFPSC Steering Team
and Chandler Becker (NIST)

Daniel W. Siderius, PhD
Material Measurement Laboratory
100 Bureau Dr. MS 8320
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA 20899-8320

email: daniel.siderius@xxxxxxxx
phone: (301)-975-5968
fax:   (301)-869-4020

The vision of the Industrial Fluid Properties Simulation Collective is that a
robust, accurate, and easy-to-use set of modeling tools will be widely
available for the prediction of physical properties of fluids and obtaining
insight into the connections between molecular structure and properties.

IFPSC webpage: http://www.fluidproperties.org/

FLUIDPROPERTIES email list archive:
//www.freelists.org/archives/fluidproperties/

"subscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject line of the email.

"unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject line of the email or at
//www.freelists.org/list/fluidproperties .

Other questions or feedback: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx