[flos-freeware] Release Candidate: Notepad2 Version 4.0.24

  • From: Florian Balmer <florian.balmer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: flos-freeware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:58:04 +0100

Dear subscribers of this newsletter,

Notepad2 version 4.0.24 is now available as a "Release Candidate". I'm
planning to distribute the final version as soon as the next full
version of the Scintilla source code editing component will be
available. That's why the source code documentation says Notepad2
4.0.24 depends on Scintilla 2.02, but it's in fact the current CVS
snapshot (2.01-cvs $Date: 2009/12/16 $).

The most notable new feature is support for the /z command line switch
introduced by Kai Liu, to support registry-based Notepad replacement.

  http://www.flos-freeware.ch/doc/notepad2-Replacement.html

Another change is that font smoothing (anti-aliasing) can be
controlled globally for the Notepad2 window, independently of the
system default setting. This is useful for scenarios where
anti-aliasing is generally preferred and a certain font looks better
without, or where system restrictions prevent changing the
anti-aliasing settings.

  http://www.flos-freeware.ch/doc/notepad2-FAQs.html#q6

As of version 2.x, the Scintilla editing component makes use of the
STL. I haven't been able to rebuild the source codes using my custom
Visual C++ 6.0/7.0 build farm, any more, that's why I switched to the
WDK 7.0 build environment. Like this it's still possible to use the
system CRT and create a tiny and fast executable file with cutting
edge technology (that is, the up-to-date msvcrt.dll and msvcp60.dll
runtime libraries available on any Windows system).

My build scripts are included in the Notepad2 source code package. For
the future, I may create a new section on my website with
documentation and examples how to build Notepad2 with other
development tools.

Download from the Notepad2 website:

  http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Best wishes,