[flora_of_nepal] Shrawan Update

  • From: Colin Pendry <C.Pendry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "flora_of_nepal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <flora_of_nepal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:57:31 +0100

Dear All

5th International Editorial Meeting
It has been a busy two months since the last Update, with the main event being
the 5th International Editorial Meeting which was hosted by Professor Kafle at
the Nepal Academy of Science and Technology on the 15th June. During the
morning a General Session as attended by the Steering Committee and the
Editorial Board along with invited participants and in the afternoon a
Technical Session was attended by the Editorial Board and the invited
participants.
The agenda items discussed are listed below, and full minutes are being
finalised and will be circulated with the next Update.

General Session
Report on Nepalese edition of Volume 3
Report on progress of Volume 4
Report on progress of Volume 7
Report on progress of Volume 10 part 1 (Palmae to Zingiberaceae)
Report on progress of Volume 10 part 2 (Orchidaceae)
Report on progress of the Companion Volume
Fieldwork programme (MoUs, capacity building)
New organisational structure within Nepal
Funding update

Technical Session
Developments with website
Fieldwork permissions
Progress on Volume 10(parts 1 & 2)

Meetings with the President and Prime Minister
Mark Watson and Colin Pendry were fortunate to have personal meetings with
President Yadav and Prime Minister Regmi during this visit, which gave us the
opportunity to present to them the work of the Flora of Nepal Project and ways
to progress it. The President and Prime Minister were both very supportive of
our activities and we are confident that the meetings will lead to additional
support for our work from the Government of Nepal.

Flora of Nepal Training
The Department of Plant Resources, Tribhuvan University's Central Department of
Botany and the Nepal Academy of Science and Technology have all nominated
authors for accounts in Volume 10, and a week of training was held for them
before the Editorial Meeting. The training was carried out by local experts as
well as experts from the UK and Japan, and there were over 50 participants from
the three Nepalese institutions.

Fieldwork
After the Editorial Meeting  a Japanese team led by Hiroshi Ikeda travelled to
Jaljale Himal to carry out field work following on from their work in that
region last year.

Dayananda Bajracharya
We are pleased to report that Dayananda has been honoured with this year's
national award titled 'Suprabal Jansewa Sri Padak' for his contribution in the
field of science and technology, and this will be presented by President Yadav.
He has also recently been nominated by Prime Minister Regmi as a member of the
Faculty Selection Committee of Kathmandu University.
Dayanda's new book 'Chetanako Yatra' ('Journey of Consciousness') is in press.
The book is a collection of 68 articles on different topics of science and
technology published in the popular Nepali daily 'Nagarik'.

Lokesh Shakya
We were sorry to hear that Lokesh has been suffering from ill health and
recently underwent heart surgery in Delhi. He is recuperating in Kathmandu and
we wish him a fast and complete recovery.

With best wishes

Colin

Dr Colin A. PENDRY | Editor, Flora of Nepal | Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh |
20a Inverleith Row | Edinburgh | EH3 5LR
Tel.: +44 (131) 248 2969 | Fax: +44 (131) 248 2901 | RBGE website:
www.rbge.org.uk<http://www.rbge.org.uk/> | Flora of Nepal website:
www.floraofnepal.org<http://www.floraofnepal.org/>

--
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is a Charity registered in Scotland (No
SC007983)