[flantifracking] Re: FW: [Globalfrackdown] Re: Trade Unions & Fracking: WE CALL FOR A GLOBAL MORATORIUM

  • From: Amalie Datz <amaliedatz@xxxxxx>
  • To: Merrillee Malwitz-Jipson <merrilleeart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 00:33:41 -0400

I contacted the President of the AFLCIO for Florida today. There is a
statewide conference call every Thursday. I requested to be able to speak with
the group during their conference call. I have not had a response yet but will
go over and speak to them before next Thursday. The Union has been very
helpful. They allow us to meet in their meeting rooms and they allow me to
print materials for the various city and county commissions that we are
approaching to pass resolutions. In 2014 they would not allow me to bring up
the issue. In 2015 the President met with me and Graig Stevens the Gasland
Rising advocate and seemed sympathetic to the cause. There are concerns about
taking jobs away but the reality is those are not the jobs we want the unions
to have if they lead to sickness and death. I will forward the information to
them you provided below.

On another front. August 26 the Florida Alliance of Counties will be meeting at
the Hilton in St. Pete to set their legislative agenda for 2016. I believe
they will be including a half day workshop on fracking in that meeting. If any
of you can get there please try to give them information and support to ban
fracking.
On Aug 13, 2015, at 7:28 AM, merrilleeart@xxxxxxx wrote:

what about the Union where we had a Progressive workshop in Tampa? Can Edwin
help us with that contact?

Merrillee-

From: <Globalfrackdown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of
"shanleyg2001@xxxxxxxxx" <shanleyg2001_yahoo.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 12:28 PM
To: "globalfrackdown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<globalfrackdown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "andy.gheorghiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<andy.gheorghiu_resolution-korbach.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
MORATORIUM

Andy,
Right here in New Jersey unions pose a huge opposition block. We are trying
to shut down an ancient coal plant and prevent gas pipelines through a UNESCO
Biosphere - NJ Pine Barrens New Jersey Pinelands Commission | The Pinelands
National Reserve

New Jersey Pinelands Commission | The Pinelands National Reserve
The Pinelands National Reserve
View on www.state.nj.us
Preview by Yahoo

Union members turn out en masse to hearings and meetings. This is a pivotal
connection. If workers could see that there are more substantial and
meaningful jobs in renewables than the fossils we could make headway. Union
leaders are in bed with the politicians and its a hard nut to crack.

Thank you for educating.
georgina shanley
ocean city, nj
Citizens United for Renewable Energy - CURE

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 11:52 AM,
"andy.gheorghiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<andy.gheorghiu_resolution-korbach.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear all,

don't know if you're already acquainted with this statement:

http://unionsagainstfracking.org/the-statement/
"During the UN climate talks in Lima, Peru, in December 2014, a number of
unions began to discuss the need for the international trade union movement
to join the growing opposition to hydraulic fracturing (known as 'fracking').
The statement is designed to build union support for a global moratorium on
fracking for shale gas, shale oil and coal bed methane."
I think that we should think about a closer collaboration with the unions.
Don't know, if we might be able to coordinate something for Paris.

my best regards

Andy
--
Andy Gheorghiu Consulting
Campaigner/Consultant/Researcher

~~~----~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Manage your Group settings:

* To reply to sender (docallaghan@xxxxxxxxxxx):
docallaghan_fwwatch.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* To view sender's profile, click this link:
docallaghan@xxxxxxxxxxx

* To post to entire group, send email to:
Globalfrackdown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* To email the group moderator(s) (mschlosberg@xxxxxxxxxxx,
docallaghan@xxxxxxxxxxx,gdecock@xxxxxxxxxxxx, dsanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
ewurth@xxxxxxxxxxx):
Globalfrackdown-moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* To UNSUBSCRIBE or change delivery settings, click this link:
edit delivery settings

* To UNSUBSCRIBE from this group, send email to:

* To remove yourself from this group, send email to:
Globalfrackdown-remove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* To visit this group on the web, click this link:
view group