[fhs-65] hawk

  • From: Karen Hutmacher <karenm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Freeport Pretzels site <fhs-65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:45:52 -0600

Steve, I am in no way, shape or form an expert on bird life but last summer (or maybe the one before) I had a hawk enjoying my bird bath!!!!   After much picture-taking and much picture-studying, we decided it was a Cooper's Hawk.  I only mention this because the color of the front feathers in your photo reminds me of "my" hawk....  Here is one photo of a Cooper's Hawk (from the internet, not from me.)   Not sure about "huge" though - they are quite large compared to most birds you probably see in your yard but having grown up on a farm, I think Cooper's is not the hugest in the hawk world.

Karen

Into the Wild: Meet the Cooper's hawk, Portland's deadliest bird | The Portland Phoenix