[fhs-65] Re: What you think about South Korea's new president?

  • From: Steve <sfgrob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fhs-65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:59:39 -0500

Not much!

I'll explain.  Oki has been watching (video feed of news via internet) the campaign for several months now.  I would get daily briefings, sometimes more than once a day, about the goings on and her feelings about it.  She comes from the Southern Province  where people are the most engaged in politics.  That part of the country had the highest voter turnout of over 90%.  She also has a cousin who ran for higher political office several times, unsuccessfully, and one time was a campaign manager for a presidential candidate that just missed out on becoming president.  Had this campaign been successful, her cousin would have become vice president of the country.  So one could say Oki has politics in her blood.

As I was getting these updates they were always accompanied by the comments that none of the candidates were very good and she couldn't understand why there weren't better choices available.  Last night I watched a CNN report where the reporter from Seoul called it "the campaign of the unlikeables".  Oki nailed it.

The problem is that neither of the two front running candidates has any international relations experience and both have somewhat checkered pasts.  The only bright spot (here) was that the candidate who won was the one that Oki thought was the lesser of the two evils.  There was just a 0.8% vote margin for the winner.

Now we have to sit back and see how the new guy can do.

Steve

p.s. I see that PBS has a program on at 8pm tonight about: "A look at the talent and dedication of Italy's artisans, including glassblowing in Venice, ceramics in Umbria, olive oil-making in Tuscany and cashmere weaving in Genoa, as well as regional culinary traditions."

I may have to check this out as we went to a glassblowing factory in Burano when we visited Venice and found it fascinating.

On 03/09/2022 15:52, donnakasch (donnakasch) wrote:

Steve, I'm wondering what you and Oki think about South Korea's new president? Donna

To post, send email to FHS-65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and please be sure to sign all your posts and replies.