[fhs-65] Re: Travelog

  • From: "Jane Pawelkiewicz" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("janepawelkiewicz")
  • To: fhs-65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 19:29:58 -0500

Very interesting Steve! Glad u got off that island in time! 😃 Jane
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 8, 2022, at 11:00 AM, Sheri <sleege@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Beautiful picture, Steve, and very interesting background info.  Never been to that particular part of the world, so thanks for sharing!      -sheri

Sent from my iPhone
On Mar 8, 2022, at 9:31 AM, Karen Hutmacher <karenm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Interesting - beautiful photos, Steve.  Thanks

Karen

On 3/7/2022 7:48 PM, Steve wrote:

I've often said how ruggedly beautiful South Korea is.  And when I'm there, I can't resist taking way too many pictures.  I thought I would share some of them with you from time to time.  Once in awhile, I get one that turns out well.

Below is a picture taken from a lighthouse platform on a small island we visited.  Not only is it beautiful there, but is rather interesting.

The interesting part here is that this island can only be reached by boat or on foot, from the somewhat larger island next to it.  But, this can only happen at special times of the day when the tide is at its lowest point.  Once the tide recedes far enough a "land bride" is exposed making it possible for people to cross from one island to the other.  The now exposed land bridge can be seen in the center left side of the picture.  Those tiny dark specs are people crossing the bridge.
No one any longer lives on the island, but not too long ago light-keepers and their families stayed on the island to run and maintain the lighthouse and generators.  It is still a working lighthouse.

In the above picture you can see folks waiting for the tide to go down enough to allow crossing.  We hiked from the far end of the main island, and when we got here, we waited a little bit more than an hour to cross.  Because the times of the tide changes daily, it can be a bit of a guessing game as to when crossing is possible.  Oki is standing in the center of the picture, just to the right of the man in the blue jacket and white hat, using her psychic powers to speed up the receding tide.
Steve

JPEG image

JPEG image