[fhs-65] Re: Seomsiho

  • From: "donnakasch" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("donnakasch")
  • To: fhs-65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:06:55 -0500

Amazing! Yay Oki!Donna

-------- Original message --------From: Steve <sfgrob@xxxxxxxxxxx> Date: 1/13/22 4:48 PM (GMT-05:00) To: FHS-65 <FHS-65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [fhs-65] Seomsiho

I looked out the window and over to Oki's garden today (1-13-22) and was surprised to see this plant all green and growing.  It has been so cold here that our lake is frozen over and everything else in the yard and garden is dormant.  The nights have seen temps dip into the single digits.  But there it is.

It looks just like hosta, but I knew from its' placement, protected within the fenced-in confines of the garden, it is not hosta.  So I asked her what it is.  She told me it is "Seomsiho" (bupleurum latissimum nakai), raised from a few seeds gathered from Gwaneun Island (a small uninhabited island off the northeast coast of South Korea, 37.484267-130.904646), growing now in her garden here midst the dead of winter.

This a medicinal plant (roots are used) that is extremely rare, found only growing on Gwaneun Island, and endangered.  Was thought to be extinct until 2002.  A plant is considered endangered if fewer than 1,000 specimens exist.  From the information I was able to find, there are only two groups of 45 and 61 plants now surviving, exclusively, on Gwaneun Island - well, except a few now in a special garden, growing like a weed, here in Fort Wayne.

Steve

JPEG image