[fhs-65] Re: Is the mantle clock cast iron?

  • From: Steve <sfgrob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fhs-65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:11:46 -0500

No, mine is all wood with the exception of the feet, the four pillars, and those "handle" like appendages on the side.  Even the parts that look like marble are faux stone painted wood.  The white part of the face that is ceramic on some of these old mantel clocks is printed cardboard on mine.  Pretty much the economy line.  But it just keeps running, I wind the time each any every week, but not the striking - too loud.

Steve

On 03/12/2022 15:15, donnakasch (donnakasch) wrote:
Thanks for sharing Steve!  One question: Is the mantle clock cast iron? The style reminds me of the Ansonia clocks, made in NY. I have one with a patent dated 1882 that was a wedding gift for my parents from her parents. Ansonia made many styles over the years, and many if not most have the pillars on the front like yours. They are well documented online.
Like you, John is a clock and watch enthusiast. We have several clocks ... maybe 4 or 5 ... that he's collected. And watches? I don't want to know!!  Donna

-------- Original message -------- From: Steve <sfgrob@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Above mantel is probability the oldest, and most difficult clock to date, but most likely was made in the 1850s to 1880s.  There is no brand or serial number on the clockworks, but there is a label on the back of the clock identifying the clock as a "Belmont".  This clock was mass produced and inexpensive.  Tons of these were made and sold as "house" brands for large department stores.  The clock is still running today and keeps reasonably good time.  I just have to adjust it a minute or two when I wind it each week.  Story is this clock was a wedding present to the parents of my grandmother's oldest sister's husband.

JPEG image