[fb-exchange] Continuation of Mixing the old with the new. Nokia C5 and iPhone 4S.

  • From: "Dominique Farrell" <hollyandopal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fighting Blindness Exchange Group" <fb-exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:22:15 -0000

There were a few interesting questions and points made as a result of my post
yesterday. Firstly, let me just remind readers that I love getting your Emails
and phone calls but it would be nice if you would comment on the site instead
of contacting me privately so as other readers can have the benefit of reading
your questions and observations.
Firstly, Jenny asked if the C5 has wifi. NO. It doesn't although as I'm not
using this phone for any data usage this actually makes no difference to me.
I'm interested in what you might use wifi for though. Are there apps on the S60
platform that you would use?

Nicky touched on the idea of using an iPod for listening to Music and using
Apps. This is a very good idea. The iPod is smaller, lighter and cheaper and if
you're not using it for phone calls or texting then there's no need for 3G.
However, the iPhone battery lasts for a very long time when not used as a
normal phone and there is nothing that the iPhone can't do that the iPod does
so there's no need to change over if you already have an iPhone. Also, because
I could potentially change back to the thinking that one device is just more
convenient selling the iPhone would be a mistake because a 64GB iPhone 4S is
not a cheap toy at all. I've already done this in the past. I moved back to a
Nokia phone for a while about three or four years ago but after a while I
missed the power of the iPhone so I went back again. However, at that time, I
wasn't running both phones simultaneously so things may be different this time.
For me, the iPhone has almost become essential. I use Facetime with sighted
people when I need something looked at, I use the many social networking aps to
stay in contact with people, I read the local and national news, I keep up to
date with Email and I even use it for GPS occasionally. However, I have a tip
for you. I have a wireless Vodafone dongle. I usually have my laptop with me
when traveling to and from work and this wireless dongle has a nice place in
that laptop case. When I really want Internet access on the iPhone while
traveling I just turn on that wireless dongle, connect to it from the iPhone
and I have the same data access as I had when using it as a phone. Really, the
only down side to this is that I have a few more devices to carry around.
However, this is more than made up for by the efficiency of being able to make
and receive calls and write text messages quickly and comfortably. I've been
using this method now for just over a week and so far it's working quite
nicely. However, ask me again in a month. Maybe by that time I'll be tired of
carrying an extra phone around with me.

Just one more note. I have given serious consideration to an iPad or an iPad
mini however as a blind person I simply can't understand why one of these
devices would be appealing to me. The larger screen makes absolutely no
difference. Why not just use an iPhone or an iPod. The iPad mini feels lovely
and sexy. It's slim, curved and light but once you get over that what's the
benefit if you can't see the screen?