Faculty Films newsletter Baraka

  • From: <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <facultyfilms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 20:58:11 +0100 (CET)

Hey y'all!

FacultyFilms is working hard to get the website up in the air, so be sure
to expect it available for you in the near future.

In the meanwhile, we would like to invite you to visite our brand-new
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_202642483083972

Or simply search Facebook for 'FacultyFilms'

This very Tuesday night, we will present the wonders of our world to you,
by showing 'Baraka' (1992), a movie with no conventional plot: merely a
beautiful collection of expertly photographed scenes. Be sure to expect a
lot of highly recognizable and unique eye-candy.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYZ8RWqqicQ

Without words, cameras show us the world, with an emphasis not on "where,"
but on "what's there." It begins with morning, natural landscapes and
people at prayer: volcanoes, water falls, veldts, and forests; several
hundred monks do a monkey chant. Indigenous peoples apply body paint;
whole villages dance. The film moves to destruction of nature via logging,
blasting, and strip mining. Images of poverty, rapid urban life, and
factories give way to war, concentration camps, and mass graves. Ancient
ruins come into view, and then a sacred river where pilgrims bathe and
funeral pyres burn. Prayer and nature return. A monk rings a huge bell;
stars wheel across the sky.

Entrance: Free
Language: English
Genre: Documentary / War
Length: 96 minutes

Source:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103767/

We hope to welcome you this Tuesday evening the 15th of February!

Cultural Centre, Mekelweg 10, Delft at 21:00!

Subject field OR
visit the list webpage at //www.freelists.org/list/facultyfilms

FacultyFilms