zeroing out mailboxes

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:34:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

In Exchange 2003, is there any way to zero out a mailbox i.e. delete all
it's contents, contacts, folders etc. but not delete the mailbox itself?
I can see options to delete a mailbox and also to purge one, but not an
option to zero out a mailbox.

Reason:  I want to do a final production import of PST files and would
like to start with a clean slate, i.e. empty, initialized mailboxes.
Right now we have been testing several mailboxes and there are all kinds
of test messages etc. in the mailboxes.  As far as I can tell, ExMerge
does not provide for a way to clean out a mailbox when importing it i.e.
delete existing contents and overwrite with contents from PST file.  All
ExMerge operations seem to perform a "Merge" operation in one way or
another.  Even the "Copy" option does not delete anything in the existing
target mailbox as far as I can tell.

The only other option I can see is to delete all mailboxes, then
re-mail-enable each mailbox, add aliases, send a test message to each one
to "initialize" the mailboxes, etc. etc. but that seems like a pretty
convoluted thing to do vs. "zeroing out a mailbox".

best regards
Mike