[ExchangeList] Re: sbs 2008 ssl cert replacement - how to do

  • From: Simon Butler <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:19:00 +0000

http://www.msexchange.org
I really must blog this...
Certificates in SBS 2008 are a real pain.
Whatever you do, you don't use IIS for the certificate generation. You have two
options.
1. You use the wizard.
2. You use the Exchange management shell.

The wizard makes a major presumption - that you are using SRV records for
Autodiscover. It creates a request for a single name SSL certificate -
remote.example.com if you have followed the recommendations and expects you to
make the SRV record changes that are required. However most domain name service
providers do not support SRV records. Of course those in the list within SBS
for DNS services do.
The comments in this article from Sean Daniel clearly show the presumption of
SRV records use, which is a poor show from Microsoft in my opinion:
http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2009/02/installing-godaddy-standard-ssl.html

Therefore you must use the Exchange Management Shell.
On the plus side, this will not affect your live certificate, because it
doesn't go live until the certificate is enabled.
On the downside, using EMS to install the certificate breaks the web services
of SBS.

Therefore the thing to do is use EMS as normal, generating the request. Once
you have the response, do not install it until you are ready for the downtime.
Install the certificate as normal. The web services in SBS (RWW etc) will then
break.
Then use the Fix My Network wizard in SBS to correct everything. That should
reset the web server bindings. The SBS best practises analyser (free download
from Microsoft - link on my Exchange resources site at http://exbpa.com ) will
also flag the broken bindings if the Fix My Network wizard doesn't resolve it.

Instructions for doing the certificate request, installation etc are on my blog
here: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/archive/2008/05/30/78.aspx

I should be doing an SBS 2008 certificate installation within the next couple
of days and I will document and blog the exact steps as this isn't the first
time this question has come up.

Simon.

--
Simon Butler
MVP: Exchange, MCSE

e: simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx
w: http://www.sembee.co.uk/
w: http://www.amset.info/
w: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/

Need cheap certificates for Exchange, compatible with Windows Mobile 5.0?
http://CertificatesForExchange.com/ for certificates from just $23.99.
Need a domain for your certificate? http://DomainsForExchange.net/

Exchange Resources: http://exbpa.com/