RE: exchangelist digest: December 29, 2001

  • From: "Kressevich, Vincent" <vkressevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:38:25 -0500

 -----Original Message-----
From:   [ExchangeList] digest [mailto:exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Sunday, December 30, 2001 2:00 AM
To:     exchangelist digest recipients
Subject:        exchangelist digest: December 29, 2001

http://www.MSExchange.org/
EXCHANGELIST Digest for Saturday, December 29, 2001.

1. Exchange slow down with proxy software ???
2. ETRN on an SMTP Connector - Custom Connection Time problem

Subject: Exchange slow down with proxy software ???
From: "Andy" <cluggas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 10:25:35 -0700

My Proxy software requires me to enable DNS in the TCP/IP setting of each
client on the network. The IP of the dialing computer must be entered into
the DNS search order list.

However, when I do this Outlook takes A long time to connect to the
Exchange server, and keeps timing out.

It seems like the TCP/IP can't cope with both. Or maybe the client
machines are having trouble locating the Exchange server because of
enabling the DNS.

Can any Exchange experts help me.
I would greatly apreciate it.

Kind Regards,
Andy_

Subject: ETRN on an SMTP Connector - Custom Connection Time problem
From: "Malcolm Smith" <malcolm.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 16:33:02 -0700

I am having a devil of a problem getting my Exchange
Server to get the mails from my ISP.  I have had to
create an SMTP connector and in there I have set the
ISP's SmartHost IP address and also the ETRN for my site.

I have set it so that the ETRN is issued whenever a mail
is sent out and also for a Custom Interval (15 mins).

Whenever I send out a mail from one of the Outlook
clients then the ETRN is obviously issued as mail comes
down right away.    If I send mail to myself from outside
(say, from my Hotmail account) and then leave the room
for an hour or more then the ETRN is obviously not being
sent even though the ISDN is still up and running.

The Exchange 2000 server is in mixed mode on a mixed mode
Windows 2000 machine.  Sharing this machine is my ISDN
card and the ISA server.

This is the only snag which is affecting me as mail seems
to be coming in and out alright (only if I send out a
mail though).   Other than to write a small VB app which
sends out a mail message to my hotmail account every
fifteen minutes is there anything else which I could do?

---

END OF DIGEST

The information contained herein is intended only for the
person or entity to which itis addressed and may contain
confidential and/or privileged material.  If you are not
the intended recipient of this message, please do not
read, copy, use or disclose this communication and notify
the sender immediately.  It should be noted that any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking action or reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.