WARNING - data loss with address book views (5.5)

  • From: Roger Mackenzie <r.mackenzie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:43:55 -0000

Folks,

        A warning. We use address book views on our 5.5 service. On
occasions we have cause to rename departments (on which one set of views is
based). We will select the address book view in Exchange Administrator and
work through the normally trivially small number of mailboxes which need the
department changed. It's always the small fledgling departments which cannot
decide what they're called! Once the view is empty we delete the now
redundant view.

        Regrettably, if you get distracted in doing this it is possible to
delete a mailbox instead! Having finished renaming the department for the
last mailbox in the view I overlooked to select back on the view in the left
hand pane before taking the delete key. Focus was still in the now empty
right hand pane, the delete key was not greyed out BUT the delete
confirmation that came up was for the last mailbox to have its department
changed. Of course when you're not paying full attention you carry on and
select yes.....

Regards, Roger Mackenzie (Glasgow University)