RE: Soka|Ex 2003|Removal Message Tracking logs

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:00:24 -0500

There are two types of log files. One is Message tracking, and the other
is Transaction log files. The killer is Transaction log files. These are
the files that are used for recording transactions as they are committed
to the database. If you loose these transaction logs, you will be in
trouble while restoring a database. The correct way to delete or cleanup
these logs is to do a full backup of you exchange databases using an
exchange aware backup s/w such as NTbackup. When you do a successful
full backup, the old logs are automatically deleted. Each log file is
5MB in size, and gets created automatically when the previous log file
is filled up. The message tracking on the other hand can be set to
delete older than 7 days or whatever is suitable for you. This log is
used only for reporting purpose and to track messages that are sent and
received in your system. This is the log you look at when you use the
Message tracking center to search for an email using system manager.
There is another way to keep the transaction logs from filling up your
disk. It is called circular logging, and is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED from
enabling this feature. This feature will overwrite older transaction
logs as needed. However, this will again reduce the ability to recover
your server to the point of failure. So you need a good backup to
resolve your situation.

Regards,

Raj