RES: RE: RES: Disabling user

  • From: "Tiago de Aviz" <Tiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:10:28 -0300

>In this case then, it seems the best approach would be to disable the
user,
>run exmerge 2step mailbox-pst on that mailbox to create a pst file,
then
>delete that mailbox. Is that correct?

No, change the user's password (security reasons), then exmerge it. You
can't run it with the mailbox disabled. Then delete the fella.

>Then, if the user is to be re-enabled, recreate the mailbox, and run
>exmerge 2step pst-mailbox to reimport all mail, correct?

Sure, create the same alias that the guy before, put the PST in
c:\exmergedata with the guysalias.pst there and you're up to go.

>OK, so for the one client that I have, no problem, as they are not that
>strict on permissions. (Total of about 40 users.) For a new client that
I >am migrating their network from Netware to AD and MDameon to
Exchange, I >will need to document permissions so that they can then be
recreated, >correct?

Sure thing.

>Couldn't you do the same thing from within Exchange by deleting the
>mailbox, the adding that address as another address to say a
disableuser mailbox?

Sure, create an account just to hold the deleted folks and add their
addresses on that user as needed. That's another way out. The advantage
with GFI is that mails are saved in EML format, so all I need to do is a
quick search for the guy's address and burn all his EML's on a CD. The
disvantage of doing that on a single user is that you have to crate
rules to organize all inbound mail and it's a pain to export.

Tiago de Aviz
IT Consultant
MCP-CNA-AIX-CCNA-CCDA
www.softsell.com.br