[ExchangeList] Migration to Exchange 2007 Question

  • From: "Lee Ann Swanson" <swanson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:15:48 -0500

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------Have been doing some
research on this and coming up with various answers, so
thought I'd post here...

Have a network with Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 SP4 domain controller (I
know not the best setup, but it is a small network and at that time client
wanted only one server).... anyway, we want to migrate to Exchange 2007.

Have a 64 bit server with windows 2003 R2 as a member server.
Put in Windows 2003 R2 Domain controller after extending the schema.
The FSMO roles will be transferred to the DC and it will be made a Global
Catalog Server.

It's my understanding that the Global Catalog servers in an Exchange 2007
Environment need to be at least Windows 2003 SP1.

So my question is, can I remove the GC function from the windows 2000 DC w/
Exchange 2000 on it, or will I run into trouble? Or can I have 2 GCs in the
domain w/ one of them being Windows 2000 and still install Exchange 2007 on
the network. I also considered putting in a temp w2k server w/ exchange 2k
and moving the mailboxes and decommissioning the exchange 2k on the DC
before installing exchange 2007. Have always heard you should not dcpromo a
machine w/ Exchange on it.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestion or references appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Lee Swanson
Watertown, SD

MSExchange Articles and Tutorials: