[ExchangeList] Re: Migrating an Exchange 2003 server from one AD to another AD

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:25:41 -0500

JW,
Since you don't have a wan link between the two datacenters, it makes it
difficult for any in place migration. How come users are connected to
the new Datacenter, but not the existing Datacenter? You have very few
options if you want to do seamless migration to the new forest. The best
option would have been to use ADMT v3 to migrate the existing forest to
the new forest. This will also migrate passwords and workstations. But,
since you don't have any links between the forests, that's not an
option. I can only think of two options for you,

1) Physical Server move, including all DC and Exchange Servers to the
new location. Then do an interforest migration.

2) Create the new forest in the new Datacenter, manually migrate all
user accounts using LDIFDE. This would not migrate passwords. The
workstations would have to be rejoined to the new domain.

My best recommendation:

Get a link between the datacenters, at least for the duration of the
migration, and use ADMT v3.