RE: Is there a way to speed up document downlo ads with Outlook 2002

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:05:42 -0400

Physics is physics, but we continually try to cheat the laws anyway.
Sometimes we lose and sometimes we rewrite our understanding of the laws.
Sometimes we just find a new way to do old things better.

There are many areas that can cause this issue.  The desktop antivirus, the
server antivirus (or combination) can slow it down considerably depending on
how you have it set.  The server may not be setup for fast retrieval (i.e.
i/o subsystem is not optimized for this type of work).

The client may not be optimally set for the transport (it may be trying
something different first and then getting on with the connection).  The
network connection may not be as good to your network as the one to AOL.
It's possible your VPN overhead is taking more bandwidth than a connection
to AOL and coupled with the other delays in the path, may make it much more
unbearable.

Could be the internet connection from the cellular carrier to your system
isn't as good.

Could be any or a combination of the above that's giving you these results.

There used to be systems that would compress the files for you for just
these types of situations.  C2C systems was the company that comes to mind.

Al